Course overviewThe Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering (QCF) is a qualification aimed at caterers and other food handlers. The qualification is intended for learners already working in catering and those who are preparing to work in the industry.
Learners gaining this qualification will know that food safety is the responsibility of everyone involved in the storage, preparation, cooking service and handling of food. Its topics are regarded by the Foods Standards Agency https://www.food.gov.uk/ as being important to maintaining good practice in the production of safe food.
Why is food hygiene training important?Under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/2996/contents/made everyone who works with food has a responsibility for safeguarding the health of consumers and ensure that the food they serve or sell is perfectly safe to eat.
Who needs this training?HABC food safety training qualifications are intended for anyone working in catering, hospitality or manufacturing settings where food hygiene is essential as food is prepared, cooked, served or produced. Typical environments may include pubs, hotels, restaurants, retail, factories, contract catering, fast-food outlets, hospitals, care and nursing homes, schools, prisons and the armed forces, Subjects covered include hazards and controls, food safety management and temperature controls, food poisoning control, personal hygiene, cleaning and disinfection, food pests, and the role of the food handler in keeping food safe.
The HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering (QCF) is accredited and recognised internationally and has been developed to protect customers, brand reputation and profits of your business.
If you are a supervisor, business owner, manager please see level 3 Food Safety in catering course.
Key benefits of keeping staff fully trained in food hygiene
- Decrease lost working days
- Improved employee retention
- Minimise risk of litigation
- Reduce insurance premiums
- Legal compliance and a low risk rating (fewer visits from Environmental Health)
- Greater security of business
- Good food safety practices can benefit a food business, while poor food safety and hygiene practices can cost the business dearly!
- Topics covered include
- Introduction to food safety
- Microbiological hazards(bacteria)
- Spoilage & preservation
- Food Poisoning & its control
- Contamination hazard & controls
- Principles of safe food storage
- Food handlers & personal hygiene
- food premises and equipment.
- Food pests & control
- HACCP from purchase to service
- Cleaning & disinfection
- HACCP from purchase to service
- Food safety law and enforcement
Learning outcomesCandidates who attend this HABC Food Safety level 2 in Catering course (QCF) should have a:
- gain a firm grasp of the importance of food hygiene and knowledge of the systems, techniques and procedures involved;
- Understanding of how to control food safety risks (personal hygiene, food poisoning, spoilage, contamination, basic HACCP knowledge, stock rotation & food storage, cooking and handling, cleaning & disinfection);
- Confidence and expertise to safely deliver quality food to customers.
- Duration: One-day food hygiene course (min 6 hours, recommended 9 hours) and assessment time (45-60 minutes)
- Assessment: Multiple choice examination 30 questions with 20 correct to pass
- Ofqual Accredited: Course has been accredited by the regulators of England and Wales (Ofqual and Qualifications Wales) and is part of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
- Ofqual qualification reference: Catering -500/5485/5
- Learner aim reference number: catering 5005485
- Credit Value: 1
- Candidate prerequisite requirements: None
- Price includes: HABC Food Safety course book, exam fee, HABC food safety certificate of award (Certificates usually despatched by 10 working day)
- Suggested progression: Progression and further learning routes include
- Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Catering
- Level 3 food and drink qualifications
- Hospitality competency based qualifications (NVQs/Apprenticeships)
Please note that: The basic Food Hygiene course was replaced by and re-named ´HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety (QCF)` in 2006. New legislation recommends that training must be appropriate for the work done. It is recommended certificates are renewed every 3 years and refresher training taken yearly through training.
ID requirementsAll learners must bring photographic identification to the assessment to be checked by the tutor/ invigilator/assessor. ID should be checked ahead of the course/assessment when the learner registers and/or with any pre-course materials.
- Valid Passport (any nationality)
- Signed UK Photo Card Driving Licence
- Valid Warrant Card issued by HM Forces, Police
- Other photographic ID card, e.g. Employee ID Card (must be current employer), Student ID Card, Travel card.
Our next one day classroom based food safety courses 2016
Please call us on 01162201340 or 07413571602 to arrange a course for an individual or a group and we will schedule the course which may suits your time and preferred location.
Recommended Training MaterialsThe Food Safety Handbook (Level 2), Sprenger, R.A. Highfield International
Hygiene Sense, Sprenger, R.A. Highfield International