Course overviewThis qualification is ideal for anyone working in the retail industry, or those about to start work in the retail industry, where dealing with food is a part of their role. The qualification is intended for learners already working in retail and those who are preparing to work in the industry.
Learners gaining this qualification will know that food safety is the responsibility of everyone involved in the storage, preparation, processing, packing and handling & displaying of food. Its topics are regarded by the Foods Standards Agency https://www.food.gov.uk/ as being important to maintaining good practice in the production of safe food.
Why food Safety training is important?Under Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 everyone who works with food has a responsibility for safeguarding the health of consumers and ensure that the food they serve or sell is perfectly safe to eat.
Who needs this training?HABC food safety training qualifications are intended for employee working as a general food handler/operative, where food hygiene is essential as food is being, prepared, cooked, served, packed, stored or displayed. This food safety training suits most employees in all types of food retail businesses including:
- convenience stores,
- corner and mobile shops, including those with frozen, chilled and hot food display counters
The HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety in retail (QCF) is accredited and recognised internationally and has been developed to protect customers, brand reputation and profits of your business.
If you are a supervisor, business owner, manager please see level 3 Food Safety in retail course.
Key benefits of keeping staff fully trained in food hygiene
- Decrease lost working days
- Improved employee retention
- Minimise risk of litigation
- Reduce insurance premiums
- Legal compliance and a low risk rating (fewer visits from Environmental Health)
- Greater security of business
- Good food safety practices can benefit a food business, while poor food safety and hygiene practices can cost the business dearly!
Topics covered Include-Retail
- Introduction to food safety
- Microbiological hazards(bacteria)
- Spoilage & preservation
- Food Poisoning & its control
- Contamination hazard & controls
- Principles of safe food storage
- Principles of safe food display in chilled & hot hold unit
- Food handlers & personal hygiene
- food premises and equipment.
- Food pests & control
- HACCP from purchase to service
- Cleaning & disinfection
- Food safety law and enforcement
Learning outcomesCandidates who attend this HABC Food Safety level 2 in Manufacturing course (QCF) should have a:
- gain a firm grasp of the importance of food hygiene and knowledge of the systems, techniques and procedures involved;
- Understanding of how to control food safety risks (personal hygiene, food poisoning, spoilage, contamination, basic HACCP knowledge, stock rotation & food storage, chilled & hot food display, cooking and handling, cleaning & disinfection);
- Confidence and expertise to safely deliver quality food to customers.
- Duration: One-day food hygiene course (min 6 hours, recommended 9 hours) and assessment time (45-60 minutes)
- Assessment: Multiple choice examination 30 questions with 20 correct to pass
- Ofqual Accredited: Course has been accredited by the regulators of England and Wales (Ofqual and Qualifications Wales) and is part of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
- Ofqual qualification reference: Retail-500/6780/1
- Learner aim reference number: Retail 50067801
- QCF: 1 credit
- Candidate prerequisite requirements: None
- Price includes: HABC Food Safety course book, exam fee, HABC food safety certificate of award (Certificates usually despatched by 10 working day)
- Suggested progression:
- Progression and further learning routes include
- Level 3 Award in Supervising Food Safety in Manufacturing
- Level 3 food and drink qualifications
- Retail competency-based qualifications (NVQs/Apprenticeships)
Please note that: The *Basic Food Hygiene course was replaced by and re-named ´HABC Level 2 Award in Food Safety´(QCF) in 2006. New legislation recommends that training must be appropriate for the work done. It is recommended certificates are renewed every 3 years and refresher training taken yearly through training.
ID requirementsAll learners must bring photographic identification to the assessment to be checked by the tutor/ invigilator/assessor. ID should be checked ahead of the course/assessment when the learner registers and/or with any pre-course materials.
- Valid Passport (any nationality)
- Signed UK Photo Card Driving Licence
- Valid Warrant Card issued by HM Forces, Police
- Other photographic ID card, e.g. Employee ID Card (must be current employer), Student ID Card, Travel card.
Our next one day classroom based food safety courses 2016/17
Please call us on 01162201340 or 07413571602 to arrange a course for an individual or a group and we will schedule the course which may suits your time and preferred location.
Recommended Training MaterialsThe Food Safety Handbook (Level 2), Sprenger, R.A. Highfield International
Hygiene Sense, Sprenger, R.A. Highfield International