Course overview & ObjectiveThis qualification is designed for those learners working in, or preparing to work in, any industry that involves the retail sale of alcohol. It is a prerequisite for anyone who wishes to hold a personal licence. Anyone wishing to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol by retail on licensed premises must
hold a personal licence.
The objective of the qualification is to allow an individual to meet a requirement set by law in order
to undertake a specific role.
Persons gaining this qualification will understand the main requirements of the Licensing Act 2003,
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/alcohol-licensing the importance of promoting the licensing objectives and the legal responsibilities of a personal licence holder.
Why personal licence APLH training is important?Under Licensing act 2003 everyone who works with retail sale of alcohol has a legal responsibility for safeguarding the health of consumers and ensure that the alcohol they serve or sell should comply all licensing objectives.
It is required by the law that employee or employer’s gain appropriate knowledge on responsibilities regarding the safe use of alcohol in a community, also how to prevent selling alcohol to an underage, effects of alcohol on the body of an adult and underage, legal hours of operation, responsibilities of servers/sellers, how to identify forms of identification that are acceptable, have challenge 21/25 policies and procedures in place.
Who needs this training?This qualification is aimed at individuals working in, or preparing to work in, any industry that involves the retail sale of alcohol. Anyone wishing to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol by retail on licensed premises must hold a personal licence.
- Supermarkets-retail sell of alcohol off the premises
- convenience stores-retail sell of alcohol off the premises
- Restaurants serving alcohol with the hot food on & off the premises
- Pub serving alcohol with the hot food on & off the premises
- Hotels/motels serving alcohol to their customer on & off the premises
- Night club
- Village & community hall
The HABC Level 2 Award in APLH (QCF) is accredited and recognised internationally and has been developed to protect customers, brand reputation and profits of your business.
If you are a supervisor, business owner, manager please see level 2 Award in APLH (QCF) course along with Qualifications for Designated Premises Supervisors (QCF) & HABC Level 2 Award in Underage Sales Prevention (QCF) courses.
Key benefits of keeping staff fully trained in PLH
- Decrease lost working days
- Improved employee retention
- Minimise risk of litigation
- Reduce insurance premiums
- Legal compliance and a low risk (fewer visits from Licensing officer/Police)
- Greater security of business
- Good practices of all licensing objectives can benefit a hassle free safe business, while poor practices can cost the business dearly!
Topics covered Include-PLH
- Licensing Act 2003
- Licensing objectives and licensable activities
- Licensing authority, Licensing policy, hearing & appeal
- Retail sale of alcohol prohibitions and exemptions
- Personal licences
- Premises licences
- The protection of children
- Power and enforcement
- Temporary event notice-TEN
- Responsibility in alcohol retailing
Learning outcomesCandidates who attend this HABC PLH level 2 in course (QCF) should have:
- gain a firm grasp of the importance of 4 main objectives involved in personal licence course and knowledge of the systems, techniques and procedures involved;
- Understanding of how to control (prevention of public nuisance, protection of children from harm, public safety & prevention of crime and disorder);
- Confidence and expertise to safely serving alcohol to customers.
- Duration: One-day PLH course (min 6 hours, recommended 9 hours) and assessment time 1 hour
- Assessment: Multiple choice examination 40 questions with 28 correct to pass
- Ofqual Accredited: Course has been accredited by the regulators of England and Wales (Ofqual and Qualifications Wales) and is part of the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF)
- Ofqual qualification reference: PLH- 500/9974/7
- Learner aim reference number: PLH 50099747
- QCF: 1 credit
- Candidate prerequisite requirements: 18 years of age or above
- It is advised that learners have a minimum of Level 1 in literacy or numeracy or equivalent
- Price includes: HABC PLH course book, exam fee, HABC PLH certificate of award (Certificates usually despatched by 10 working day)
- Suggested progression:
- Progression and further learning routes include
- NVQs and apprenticeships in the hospitality sector
- NVQs and apprenticeships in the retail sector
- Qualifications for Designated Premises Supervisors
- Retail competency-based qualifications (NVQs/Apprenticeships)
ID requirementsAll learners must bring photographic identification to the assessment to be checked by the tutor/ invigilator/assessor. ID should be checked ahead of the course/assessment when the learner registers and/or with any pre-course materials.
- Valid Passport (any nationality)
- Signed UK Photo Card Driving Licence
- Valid Warrant Card issued by HM Forces, Police
- Other photographic ID card, e.g. Employee ID Card (must be current employer), Student ID Card, Travel card.
Our next one day classroom based PLH courses 2016/17
Please call us on 01162201340 or 07413571602 to arrange a course for an individual or a group and we will schedule the course which may suits your time and preferred location.
Recommended Training MaterialsBaylis, N. Level 2 APLH Course Book Highfield International Ltd
Useful Websites• http://www.people1st.co.uk/